ROCKBAND. START A BAND. ROCK THE WORLD.
HARRAH’S MARYLAND HEIGHTS
1. NO PURCHASE OR PLAY NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE OR PLAY WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
2. The Competition: The Rock Band 2 game (“Rock Band Video Game”) allows players to perform in virtual “bands” by providing players with the ability to play three (3) different peripherals modeled after music instruments (a guitar peripheral for lead guitar and bass guitar game play, a drum peripheral, and a microphone). These peripherals are used to simulate the playing of rock music by hitting notes that are scrolling on-screen. Harmonix Promotions and Events Inc., a subsidiary of Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. (“HPE”), Harrah’s Operating Company, Inc. (“Harrah’s”), and Harrah’s Maryland Heights, LLC d/b/a Harrah’s Maryland Heights (“Harrah’s St. Louis” and, together with Harrah’s and HPE, the “Sponsors”) are sponsoring the Total Rock, Total Rewards, Rock Band Competition to be held at Harrah’s St. Louis (the “St. Louis Competition”). The St. Louis Competition is part of a larger competition of four (4)-person competition teams to compete in local competitions (each a “Local Competition” and together the “Local Competitions”) to be held at various Harrah’s properties (the “Competition”). The highest scoring team from each of the Local Competitions will receive the opportunity to enter one (1) of the four (4) designated regional competitions (the “Regional Competition(s)”).
3. Eligibility; Verification:
(a) Eligibility: The Competition is open to four (4)-person teams where each team member is at least 21 years of age or older, is legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, and is a Total Rewards member of Harrah’s (each team, together, “Competition Team” and each team member, individually, “Competitor”). Total Rewards membership is available at all Harrah’s owned or operated properties and is a free registration. Employees and their immediate families (i.e., parents, spouses, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents, step children and step siblings) of Sponsors and each of their affiliated companies, sponsors, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, third party fulfillment agencies and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors successors and assigns (collectively, the “Competition Entities”), are not eligible to enter the Competition. By participating in the Competition, Competitors (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsors, and by the decisions of Sponsors, which are final in all matters relating to the Competition, (b) agree to release and hold harmless the Competition Entities, from and against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Competition and/or use or misuse or redemption of any prize and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action; and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules. Competitors must also not be, during the time period of this Competition or at time of prize fulfillment and acceptance, a party to any agreement with any record label, production company, publishing company or any third party that might interfere with Competitors’ participation in the Competition, the rights granted by Competitor in connection with this Competition (including, but not limited to, rights granted in connection with Programming as set forth in Section 8 below) and/or acceptance of the St. Louis Prize (as hereinafter defined) awarded.
Competition Teams, and each Competitor of such Competition Team, may only compete once per Qualifying Round in the St. Louis Competition. Competition Teams, and each Competitor selected to compete in the St. Louis Competition final tournament will be allowed to perform for a second performance during the final tournament round at the St. Louis Competition and the same Competitors of a Competition Team must compete at the designated Regional Competition if selected as a winner in the St. Louis Competition. Each Local Competition is deemed an individual event and Local Competitions are not related to each other. Only one registration will be permitted per Competition Team. If more than one registration is received from a Competition Team or Competitor, only the first registration received will be accepted, and any subsequent registration from the Competition Team or Competitor shall be automatically rejected. Sponsors reserve the right to add up to ten (10) additional Competition Teams at any and each Local Competition through promotional means. In the event such a promotional additional Competition Team is added, notification shall be provided at the Total Rewards Center and at www.HarrahsSTLOUIS.COM.
(b) Verification: Competitors must prove eligibility, including, but not limited to, proof of age, legal residence and Harrah’s Total Rewards membership. In the event of non-compliance by a Competitor, the applicable Competition Team shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due to such Competition Team shall be terminated. In the event a Competition Team is so disqualified, an alternative Competition Team may be chosen to participate in the St. Louis Competition in the disqualified Competition Team’s time slot from among the remaining eligible Competition Teams that have registered for the St. Louis Competition, in Sponsors’ sole discretion. Eligible Competitors must sign (i) a declaration of eligibility and release of Competition Entities, and their respective parent companies, affiliates, and subsidiaries and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, members, from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Competition or the use/misuse or acceptance of any prize and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action; (ii) a promotional release granting Competition Entities the right to use Competitor’s name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation; and (iii) a standard MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. (“MTVN”), performer release agreement in order to be eligible to compete (collectively, “Releases”). Entry into this Competition constitutes Competitor’s agreement to sign these Releases. These Releases must be executed and submitted in person at the St. Louis Competition. Competitors must also acknowledge that Competition Entities have not and will not obtain or provide insurance of any kind relating to the participation by Competitors in any part of the Competition or any St. Louis Prize-related travel and activities and that the Competitors will be responsible for obtaining and paying for any life, travel, accident, property or other form of insurance relating to the Competition or any prize prior to competing in any part of the Competition or any St. Louis Prize-related travel and other activities.
4. How to Enter/Entry Period: Only one (1) Competitor from a Competition Team can register for that Competition Team.
IN ORDER TO COMPETE YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT AN OFFICIAL COMPETITION REGISTRATION FORM FOUND AT THE ST. LOUIS COMPETITION ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS AND COMPLETE ALL OTHER REQUIREMENTS AS IDENTIFIED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES TO RESERVE A TIME SLOT DURING THE ST. LOUIS COMPETITION OR REGISTER ONLINE AT WWW.HARRAHS.COM/ROCKBAND. Online registration will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration will be confirmed by entering at the St. Louis Competition location (“Location”). Registration is not considered an entry. Entry must occur at Location and is subject to eligibility. You must be a Harrah’s Total Rewards member to compete. Harrah’s Total Rewards membership is available at all Harrah’s owned or operated properties and is a FREE registration.
On-Site Registration Entry. Subject to availability, time slots may be available at the St. Louis Competition. Please note that the time of the St. Louis Competition may be changed by Sponsors at their sole discretion as posted at the Location (the “Competition Date”). If time slots are available at the Location on the Competition Date, eligible Competitors may also have the opportunity to register as Competition Teams at such Location, where official registration forms will be available (“On-Site Registration Entry”).
All eligible Competitors (see Section 3 for eligibility requirements) must sign in at the Location and present their signed Releases at least fifteen (15) minutes before their Competition Team’s reserved time slot. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of the Competition Team’s reserved time slot, in the Sponsors’ sole discretion, and, subject to availability of open time slots, the Competition Team’s ability to compete. Competition Teams will compete by playing the Rock Band 2 Video Game at the St. Louis Competition, subject to these Official Rules.
5. How to Compete in the St. Louis Competition: As described in full detail below, each eligible registered Competition Team will compete in the St. Louis Competition.
(a) St. Louis Competition Game Play: Competition Teams will play one (1) song during their ten (10) minute time slot. Each Competition Team may choose stock songs to perform, or the songs may be selected for them at random. There are nine (9) levels of difficulty for songs in Rock Band 2 Video Game (warm up, apprentice, solid, moderate, skilled, challenging, blistering, nightmare and impossible) but the three easiest levels (warm up, apprentice and solid) are not available if the Competition Team chooses their own song(s). The Competition Team will be able to select the song they want to play from a list that will be provided by Sponsors. Each Competitor on a Competition Team must choose an instrument from a choice of vocals, guitar, bass guitar or drums, but they must use the instruments provided and each Competitor on a Competition Team must play a different instrument. The instrument must be “medium” difficulty or higher. Competitors are not allowed to bring their own instruments and must use the instruments provided at the St. Louis Competition.
Competition Teams will compete each promotional Friday Qualifying Round at Harrah’s St. Louis to become the St. Louis Competition representative in the designated Regional Competition to be held on April 24, 2009. Harrah’s St. Louis shall determine the total number of Competition Teams allowed to compete each Qualifying Round night; provided, however, that the maximum number of Competition Teams does not exceed eighteen (18) Competition Teams per night of Qualifying Rounds. Number of Competition Teams permitted to compete each night shall include both Competition Teams added by promotional means and Competition Teams who register by approved means and enter at the St. Louis Competition. The top five (5) scores from each Qualifying Round will be posted each week of the St. Louis Competition. The St. Louis Competition will run based on the dates and location below (all locations and dates subject to change in Sponsors’ sole discretion):
Check www.harrahs.com/rockband for specific Competition dates and times for each Local Competition.
(b) St. Louis Competition Scoring and Selection of St. Louis Winning Team: The highest “overall score” (see Section 5 (c) below for details) for each Competition Team in the St. Louis Competition will determine the single winning Competition Team for the St. Louis Competition, who shall be considered the “St. Louis Winning Team”. Each member of the St. Louis Winning Team shall be considered a “St. Louis Winner”. Each member of the St. Louis Winning Team will move on to have the opportunity to enter the designated Regional Competition. In the event of a tie, the St. Louis Winning Team will be determined by adding together the longest consecutive note or phrase streak (notes apply to Competitors playing the guitar, bass guitar or drums and phrases apply to Competitors performing vocals) each individual Competitor on a Competition Team achieves in the song that Competition Team performs in the St. Louis Competition. The longest consecutive note or phrase streak shall consist of the greatest number of notes played or phrases sung without missing any notes or words, respectively. The tied Competition Team with the highest total number based on the formula above will be declared the winning St. Louis Competition Team and named the St. Louis Winning Team from the St. Louis Competition. If selected as the St. Louis Winning Team in the St. Louis Competition, each St. Louis Winner on the St. Louis Winning Team must agree to be present for the designated Regional Competition (for St. Louis Competition, presently scheduled on April 24, 2009), BUT SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN Sponsors’ sole discretion. If any St. Louis Winner of the St. Louis Winning Team cannot be present, that St. Louis Winning Team will forfeit any rights to participate in the designated Regional Competition and the next runner-up St. Louis Competition Team (based on the scoring referenced herein) in the St. Louis Competition will be named the St. Louis Winning Team for the St. Louis Competition.
(c) Scoring Determination: “Overall scores” are determined by the Rock Band 2 Video Game, which is based on how accurately a player hits the notes (for players playing the guitar, bass guitar and drums) and how well you remain on key and how accurate you are in pronouncing the lyrics (for players performing vocals). The Rock Band Video Game has pitch and phoneme detection to determine vocalist scores. In the event of any dispute, the decisions of the Sponsors (or Sponsors’ designated representatives) will be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors expressly reserve the right to delay the announcement of the St. Louis Winning Team for creative or technical reasons or for any other reason Sponsors deem necessary.
6. Prizes: All four (4) St. Louis Winners of the St. Louis Winning Team will each receive (in Harrah’s St. Louis’s sole discretion) round-trip coach air transportation to Chicago, IL from the closest major Continental U.S. airport to the St. Louis Winner’s home OR round-trip ground transportation to Chicago, IL. St. Louis Winning Team shall also receive one (1) night hotel accommodations (four (4) rooms for one (1) night, room and tax only) in Chicago, IL. Finally, all four (4) St. Louis Winners shall each receive a “VooDoo Party Gift” consisting of one hundred dollars ($100.00) cash and a one hundred dollar ($100.00) credit towards a VooDoo party tab. Cash prizes shall be awarded in the form of a prize certificate. Prize certificates must be redeemed at the Cashier’s Cage by 4:59 a.m. on Monday, April 20, 2009. Certificates not redeemed by the specified time and date shall be void and unredeemable. VooDoo party tab credits are subject to availability and shall expire on December 20, 2009. VooDoo party tab credits not redeemed by the specified date shall be void and unredeemable. Air transportation and/or ground transportation, and hotel shall be booked by Harrah’s St. Louis on behalf of the St. Louis Winning Team. All prizes listed in this paragraph shall be collectively referred to as the “St. Louis Prize”. Harrah’s St. Louis assumes no responsibility for any travel delays or cancellations. Harrah’s St. Louis assumes no responsibility for any incidental charges incurred by St. Louis Winning Team during their hotel stay. The total approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Harrah’s St. Louis Prize is USD $3,500.00. Sponsors’ only obligation to the St. Louis Winners, at Sponsors’ sole discretion, is to award the St. Louis Prize to the St. Louis Winning Team or to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value. Income taxes, if any, on the St. Louis Prize (or any substitute prize) are the responsibility of the St. Louis Winners.
The Competition Team who achieves the top score of each Qualifying Round shall receive one (1) fifty dollar ($50.00) beverage comp valid at the Harrah’s St. Louis VooDoo Lounge. The Competition Team who achieves the 2nd highest score of each Qualifying Round shall receive one (1) twenty-five dollar ($25.00) beverage comp valid at the Harrah’s St. Louis VooDoo Lounge. Beverage comp shall be valid for the Qualifying Round night in which it was received. Beverage comp cannot be transferred, sold, or redeemed for cash or Reel Rewards®. Total beverage comp giveaway valued at up to two hundred twenty-five dollars ($225.00).
Date and location of the designated Regional Competition is subject to change by Sponsors in Sponsors’ sole discretion. In the event the Regional Competition is cancelled for any reason, Sponsors’ only obligation to the St. Louis Winning Team is, at Sponsors’ sole discretion, to award the remainder of the St. Louis Prize or a substitute prize of equal or greater value. Difference in value, if any, will not be awarded.
7. General Prizing Terms: No substitution, transfer, assignment or cash equivalent of the St. Louis Prize or any portion thereof, will be permitted, except as provided below. Sponsors may substitute a prize or prize portion of equal or greater value if such prize/portion becomes unavailable. All costs and expenses not specifically listed above, including, without limitation, meals, snacks, beverages, entertainment, tips, souvenirs, personal expenses, any travel and/or equipment to be used in connection with the St. Louis Prize are solely St. Louis Winners’ responsibility. Sponsors shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels or other transportation companies or any other persons providing any of these services and accommodations necessitated by same. Sponsors shall not be liable for any loss or damage to baggage.
The value of the St. Louis Prize may be taxable to the prize recipient as taxable income. All Competitors and/or St. Louis Winners must supply Sponsors with their social security numbers and other information required for tax purposes. An IRS Form 1099 may be issued in the name of each Competitor and/or St. Louis Winner for the actual value of the prize received. Competitors and/or St. Louis Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any federal, state or local income taxes, if any, on the St. Louis Prize. Sponsors shall have no responsibility or obligation to a Competitor and/or St. Louis Winner who is unable or unavailable to accept or utilize the St. Louis Prize as described herein.
Harrah’s St. Louis reserves the right to substitute prizes that have or have not been awarded as long as the value is substantially the same as the original prize offered in the event that the original prize becomes unavailable. In no event will Harrah’s St. Louis be obligated to award more prizes than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules.
8. MTVN Produced Programming: MTVN may produce videos of the Competitors and Competitions, including, but not limited to, the St. Louis Competition and Regional Competition. All video material and programming created by MTVN will be referred to as “Programming”. MTVN shall be the exclusive owner of the copyright and other rights in and to the Programming and MTVN, its subsidiaries, affiliates, affiliated broadcast stations and networks and licensees will be able to use the Programming forever and throughout the world, and to license others to use it, in any manner MTVN wishes and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered or developed without notice, including for advertising, promoting and publicizing any of its products or services, such use may include portions and excerpts, in addition to cut in, synchronized, dubbed and superimposed versions of the Programming. By participating in this Competition, Competitors acknowledge that MTVN may use the Programming in accordance with the permission granted herein without any compensation, royalty, payment, liability or obligation to the Competitor or any third party. MTVN is under no obligation to broadcast or otherwise exploit the Programming.
9. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A COMPETITOR OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A COMPETITOR, OR A COMPETITOR’S PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN THAT WILL BRING A COMPETITOR OR COMPETITION ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (IN COMPETITION ENTITIES’ SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH COMPETITOR AND THE APPLICABLE COMPETITION TEAM’S DISQUALIFICATION AND ALL PRIVILEGES TO COMPETE OR WIN WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
Competition Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate registration information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Competition or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of the registrations in this Competition. Competition Entities are also not responsible for registrations that are stolen, late, lost, illegible, incomplete, garbled, damaged, destroyed, delayed, or misdirected. Competition Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any transmission on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to Competitor's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Competition. Competition Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Competition, errors in processing registrations, identifying potential or actual Competition Teams or St. Louis Winning Team, or in the announcement of any Competitors, St. Louis Winners and/or the delivery of the St. Louis Prize or any component thereof. If, for any reason, the Competition is not capable of running as planned, in whole or in part, including, without limitation, changes in MTVN’s on-air programming, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures of equipment used at the St. Louis Competition or any other technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Competition Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, Sponsors reserve the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the St. Louis Competition and/or Regional Competition. Should the Competition be terminated prior to the stated end date, notice will be posted on www.harrahs.com/rockband and the Competition will continue or be suspended or terminated in a manner that is as fair and equitable as possible as determined by Sponsors. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions by Sponsors and their designated agents are final. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message registrations are permitted. Sponsors reserve the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects or finds: (i) to have used a software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message registration; (ii) to have tampered with the registration process or the operation of this Competition; (iii) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; (iv) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or (v) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Competition. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE COMPETITION AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL GOVERN THE COMPETITION. EACH COMPETITOR WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. Each Competitor and his/her parents and legal guardian(s) agree to indemnify and hold harmless Competition Entities from and against any and all liability resulting or arising from or in connection with the Competition, to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Competition Entities, and hereby acknowledge that Competition Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the St. Louis Prize.
10. Request for Names of St. Louis Winners and Official Rules: For the names of the St. Louis Winners and/or Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Harmonix Promotions and Events Inc., “Total Rock, Total Rewards, Rock Band Competition”, 1515 Broadway, 29th Floor, New York, NY 10036. All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and for the name of the St. Louis Winners must be received by July 9, 2009. Please note on the bottom left-hand corner of the front of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “Official Rules” and/or the name of the “St. Louis Winners”. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules.
11. Sponsors: This Competition is sponsored by Harmonix Promotions and Events Inc., a subsidiary of Harmonix Music Systems, Inc., 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036 and Harrah’s Operating Company, Inc., Corporate Offices, 3570 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109. Harrah’s Maryland Heights, LLC d/b/a Harrah’s Maryland Heights, 777 Casino Center Drive, Maryland Heights, MO 63043 is also a Sponsor of the St. Louis Competition.
Know When To Stop Before You Start.® ©2009, Harrah’s License Company, LLC.